Following are identified as the major weaknesses of Indian Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
- In efficient human factor
- Faulty and irregular supply of raw material
- Lacl of machinery and equipment
- Absence of credit facilities
- Absence of Organized marketing facility
- Competition from Large Scale units and imported articles
- Old and Orthodox designs
- High degree of obsolescence
- Substatntial under utilization of capacity varying between 47 to 58 percent.
- Not identifying and utilising the resources
- Unsuitable Locations etc.
Remedial Measures identified for the above issues are,
- Conducting detailed survey of the existing small industries and drawing productive prgrammes for them
- Improvement in techniques and adoption of modern technology in these SSI units.
- Imparting proper education and training to workers
- Regular supply of inputs at reasonable rates
- Adequate credit arrangements
- Provision for cheap and regular supply of electricity
- Effective marketing managements like sales depot and exhibitions
- Conducting research on the techniques of production
- Maintaining standard and the quality of production
- Supportive environment and encouragement to proceed with innovative ideas
Reference: Growth of SSI in India by Brindpreet Kaur